Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Tapalapa and My Corner Store

The local bread is called Tapalapa. It’s like a French loaf only shorter and thinner. It’s made fresh twice a day and delivered on bicycle to the shops around town. I don’t know how best to describe Tapalapa except to say it is the greatest bread of all the breads...ever. I make egg and cheese sandwiches every morning and this past Sunday I made French toast ala Tapalapa (as tapas) with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon - which I call Gambia Toast.

Shops in the neighborhoods are small shacks with a walk up counter which have some basics. The one I patronize is about 50 yards from our flat (apartment) and is run by a man named Lamarina. It is a steel can no more than 15 feet by 10 is painted totally blue and has the word 'Africell' stenciled on it, a national mobile (cellphone) carrier. Lamarina is always there, at least 16-18 hours a day. Each morning I wake up and walk over to get a fresh Tapalapa or two (D14 each) and a couple of fresh eggs (D5 each). I also get my cokes there. When you bring a bottle back to return it’s D8 each. A very small price to pay for something I love so much. But I will be weaning myself off Cokes because I love the juice here so much and I’m drinking tea now so my caffeine is covered. The Cokes here aren’t the really bad-for-you ones that we have in America. These are like the cokes before they switched to New Coke, and then back again. They have no High Fructose Corn Syrup, also known as, ‘the Devil’s syrup.’ So at least they’re a little bit better for me.

-BBB

No comments: